The Rise and Fall of Toys R Us

    When I heard the news back in 2017 that Toys R Us was filing for bankruptcy in the U.S., my inner child felt crushed.

Let me walk you through a brief time-line of my relationship history with the beloved toy store:

  • It started when I was a young girl, and my parents would take me and my brother to Toys R Us on special occasions. I would be giddy on the car ride there and even the car ride home as I would be excited to play with my newest Littlest Pet Shop or My Little Ponies.
  • I could spot their colourful block-lettered logo from miles away. As I got older, I noticed there were other stores I went to with my parents more often who sold a variety of appealing toys too. Trips to Walmart and Superstore suddenly got more exciting. 
  • Even once I grew out of my My Little Ponies phase, I still would go shopping for my younger cousins’ Christmas gifts. However, big companies like Amazon stopped us from walking into any store. You could now buy toys and almost anything else with just the click of a button online.
  • Now it's 2021 and some of my cousins barely play with dolls, toy cars, or puzzles, anymore. iPads or anything with a touch-screen seem to be their first choice. Sadly, I can’t remember the last time I walked into Toys R Us.

    I know what you’re thinking. Some Toys R Us stores are still open in Canada, but it hurts my heart to know that some children will no longer feel the joy I once felt of walking into a toy store.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Response to "The Science of What Makes People Care"

Growing Cashews and a Community