Response to Entrepreneurship - The Spotlight Awaits You

  

    Sometimes I say to myself, “I don’t think I can do this,” but then I remember this story… 

    I was called up to the stage. It would be my first ever piano recital. I was a shy and introverted 4-year-old. My nerves immediately took over my body and I ran off stage like I was running from a monster. I hid under the arms of my dad, trying to escape the fear. I didn't want to be in the spotlight anymore and I didn’t want to do this...

    Then came the next recital. This time, I had the tiniest amount of courage to get up on that stage again, and I got to perform. Actually, I got to perform many more times after that. I knew I had the talent, but I couldn’t let my nerves hold me back from doing something I loved to do. It was an enormous hurdle I had to surmount, but once I got to the piano, it was just me up there. The warmth of the stage lights hugged and welcomed me back again and again, and it soon became one of my favourite things. A moment of stillness. I’d do my thing and the rest is history.

I’m very grateful that I gained confidence in music throughout my childhood. I was able to travel the country and share my music in Vancouver and Toronto. After some of the concerts in Winnipeg, I started getting parents of younger pianists come up to me and say, “Do you think you could you help my son?” or “My daughter is very inspired by you! She’d love to learn from you.” 

    That’s when I started teaching piano and helped others spread their wings in music. It came very naturally and certainly didn’t feel like a job. I didn’t hesitate to be able to share my long-time passion with them because I wanted to teach others that they could get over the hurdles that I once faced too and blossom as a musician. 

    Sometimes when I try new things, I remember that it’s normal to be afraid or uncomfortable. When it’s your turn to share your talent, you might feel like running off stage, but remind yourselves that a little bravery can go a long way. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Response to "The Science of What Makes People Care"

Growing Cashews and a Community